The Australasian Journal of Irish Studies is a peer-reviewed academic journal published annually. AJIS follows on from the Australian Journal of Irish Studies, which began in 2001, and continues that journal’s volume numbering. The change of name reflects the fact that, since 2006, AJIS has covered New Zealand as well as Australia.
AJIS publishes articles on Irish and Irish Diaspora topics in fields such as history, literature, language, politics, film, theatre and religion. The editors especially welcome articles showcasing original research on the Irish in Australia and New Zealand. Each volume also includes a book review section, so authors or publishers wishing to have their books reviewed in AJIS should contact one of the editors.
Full texts of individual articles from AJIS volume 6 onwards are available via library subscriptions through Informit.
Intending contributors should contact one of the editors in the first instance. Their contact details are below.
The latest issue of AJIS is Volume 16.
ISSN : 1444-5409
- Philip Bull (P.J.Bull@latrobe.edu.au)
- Frances Devlin-Glass (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dianne Hall (email@example.com)
- Elizabeth Malcolm (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Thomas Keneally
- Molly Lukin (Molly.Lukin@vu.edu.au, email@example.com)
Editorial Advisory Board
- Professor Emeritus Anders Ahlqvist (University of Sydney)
- Associate Professor Malcolm Campbell (University of Auckland)
- Dr Ian Chambers (Murdoch University, Perth)
- Professor Bryan Coleborne (The University of Waikato)
- Professor Emeritus Richard Davis (University of Tasmania)
- Dr Chris Eipper (La Trobe University, Melbourne)
- Professor Mark Finnane (Griffith University, Brisbane)
- Professor David Fitzpatrick (Trinity College, Dublin)
- Associate Professor Lyndon Fraser (University of Canterbury, Christchurch)
- Dr Laurence Geary (University College, Cork)
- Professor Peter Kuch (University of Otago, Dunedin)
- Dr Perry McIntyre (University of Sydney)
- Professor Angela McCarthy (University of Otago, Dunedin)
- Professor Rónán MacDonald (University of New South Wales, Sydney)
- Dr Christina Hunt Mahony (Trinity College, Dublin)
- Dr Val Noone (University of Melbourne)
- Dr Ruán O’Donnell (University of Limerick)
- Dr Louis de Paor (National University of Ireland, Galway)
- Dr Brad Patterson (Victoria University, Wellington)
- Dr Rebecca Pelan (University College, Dublin)
- Dr Lindsay Proudfoot (Belfast)
- Professor Emeritus Bob Reece (Murdoch University, Perth)
- Professor Emeritus Eric Richards (Flinders University, Adelaide)
- Professor Gillian Russell (University of Melbourne)
- Professor Jonathan Wooding (University of Sydney)
AJIS has been published with the support of La Trobe University and the Gerry Higgins Chair of Irish Studies, University of Melbourne.
A subscription to AJIS is included in ISAANZ membership.
To renew your ISAANZ membership or to become a new member, please go to the membership page.
You can also purchase a single current or past issue of the Australasian Journal of Irish Studies below: