The Irish Studies Association of Australia and New Zealand encourages and supports the study of Ireland and of the Irish Diaspora in Australia, New Zealand and internationally by facilitating the exchange of information and ideas among its members. Information is circulated through regular newsletters to members and through ISAANZ conferences.
The Australasian Journal of Irish Studies is the flagship journal of ISAANZ. The current issue (Volume 19) is now available.
- Ulysses in Plaguetime – Online, 16 June 2020How do you celebrate James Joyce’s great modernist novel Ulysses in a time of plague? This year we are creating 18 short films, one for each of the book’s episodes, and streaming them on Facebook. Directed by Jennifer Sarah Dean (founder of Melbourne Shakespeare Company), with an Australian and international cast, the virtual festival will be narrated by Max Gillies and will run from 8am until late on 16 June 2020.
- Launch recordings: Irish Literature in TransitionLaunch of the Cambridge University Press six-volume essay series Irish Literature in Transition, a new and dynamic account of Ireland’s literary history over 300 years. This event featured introductory remarks from Professor Jane Ohlmeyer (TCD) and Professor Patricia Coughlan (UCC), followed by a panel discussion with the individual volume editors, chaired by Professor Chris Morash (TCD).
- Winner announced: ISAANZ / AJIS Postgraduate PrizeEllen Orchard, of Queen’s University, Belfast is the winner of the 2020 ISAANZ / AJIS Postgraduate essay prize for her essay titled: ‘Canny womb with a view: Northern Irish poetry and the womb’. There was a high quality field of essays from Ireland, Canada, USA, UK and NZ this year and […]
- BAIS Virtual Conference – May 2020During the month of May, BAIS will facilitate an online month-long Irish Studies ‘Conference’ on Twitter. We welcome speakers from anywhere in the world, at any stage of their careers, on any topic as long as it is related to Ireland or the Irish diaspora.
- CANCELLED: Flann OBrien readingsReadings from the works of Flann O’Brien. Master of Ceremonies: Deirdre Gillespie & Guest Readers. 21 March 2020, The Quiet Man, Flemington, Melbourne. EVENT CANCELLED. Organisers hope to rescheduled at a later date.
ISAANZ members receive the following benefits:
- Annual volume of the Australasian Journal of Irish Studies (optional subscription)
- Generous member discounts on back issues of AJIS and selected ISAANZ publications
- Regular newsletters
- Priority registration and discounts for ISAANZ Conferences
- Information about Irish Studies events throughout Australasia